Thursday, October 15, 2009

Paragraph with thesis

As I sat in the student union after my communications class I began to look around. Everyone was bustling about, eating, talking, having loud phone conversations or just sitting and reading their textbooks with determined faces to pass their next exam. I pulled out my hand sanitizer bottle to clean my hands quickly before indulging in the turkey avocado sandwich I had prepared earlier that morning. Suddenly the girl sitting three feet away from me tapped me on my shoulder and asked if she could have some hand sanitizer because she felt “dirty” after having touched the door leading into the student union. I gave her some no problem and suddenly realized how obsessed students had become with cleanliness. We cleanse before we eat, after we eat, when we touch a door, or even just brushed by and happened to touch a stranger. The student union has dispensers everywhere and the bathrooms have posters telling you how to wash your hands. Have we always been like this? As kids we all played in dirt and ate it half the time with no worries and now we had become OCD clean freaks in these little bubbles. It was evident to me at that moment that maybe students should know about their risks and how to prevent themselves from getting sick. We live hectic, studying filled, high stress level lives that can’t afford to be interrupted by some pesky little flu. Whether it was hand sanitizer, soap, or just more knowledge on how to improve our well being we need to know the precautions we should take and begin applying them right away. Whether it is a pesky flu or the deadly swine flu we must protect ourselves as much as possible if we plan on living healthy lives in a school housing more than 50,000 students.

No comments:

Post a Comment